Natural Gas Awareness Program Objectives
- To educate both our customers and non-customers who live or work within 50 feet of our pipelines how to recognize the odor of natural gas and how to respond if they detect possible gas odors. Early recognition of a gas odor and proper response can save lives.
- To raise the awareness of the affected public and key stakeholders of the presence of buried natural gas pipelines in the communities we serve. A more informed public will also understand that they have a significant role in helping to prevent third-party damage accidents.
- To help excavators understand the steps that they can take to prevent third party damage and respond properly if they cause damage to our pipelines.
- To help emergency response agencies that may assist Osage Municipal Utilities in an emergency understand the proper actions to take in response to a gas release or emergency.
- To educate the public on the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and the appropriate treatment should CO poisoning be suspected.
- To educate the public about the protection of gas meters from damage by falling snow or other objects.
- To warn our customers about potential safety problems with certain flexible appliance connectors.